Thursday 15 March 2012

Bali's Mount Agung


We set out on our next adventure exactly at midnight with a long drive to the base of a sleeping volcano in Bali. We were climbing Mount Agung (10,308 feet) in the middle of the night just to reach the summit by sunrise. I had read a little about this climb and expected 5 leg burning hours of hiking, a few breaks for water and a cooler climate once we reached the top. I was excited and my husband a little apprehensive. I've never considered myself afraid of heights; I've been cliff jumping, bridge diving, skydiving, and what I thought was mountain climbing all before this adventure. But I can honestly say after this experience, I might be somewhat afraid of heights when combined with strong winds while clinging to nothing but a slick wall of rock! I actually became petrified at one point (about 10 minutes from the top) and wondered why my lovely husband would let me make such crazy ridiculous plans? Forgetting, in the moment of my panic, how well I convinced him this was a once in a lifetime opportunity! It must have been a good spiel to get us both in this situation. Our guide, Ketut, took on the mountain with the grace of a mountain goat as I watched in half awe and half anxiety. About an hour into our climb my flashlight died and this should have been a red flag, but my excitement to see the top trumped all rationale. So, between Ketut and my husband I clung to the earth like an inchworm, fumbling for anything I could wrap my fingers around in the dark. Ruining my beautiful manicure, I followed the dance of their trusty flashlights. After 2 hours we stopped for water and to gear up for the colder climate ahead of us. Ketut advised us in his limited English to continue “slowly, slowly.” We were to reach the top in 1 hour and 30 minutes and the closer we got, the more unwilling my legs became to take each step. I could see the silhouette of the summit and it seemed impossible to reach from where I was hanging on. The wind was vicious and I was convinced my backpack was the only thing keeping me grounded as it whipped around us from all directions. Ketut watched as I became as still as moss growing on a rock, but with my husband reassuring me we were fine we kept going... “slowly, slowy.” Finally, reaching the top an hour before sunrise, we had finished the hike in 3 hours and 30 minutes! Ketut prepared a modest Balinese breakfast and we sat in silence watching the clouds roll in and out, waiting for the sun to rise. This was the reason we came and I was in complete awe. A humbling experience and a reality check for my adventure seeking self!

















No comments:

Post a Comment